Next stop, Maine: Five tips for a summer getaway to Portland
If you've got Maine on your mind, this summer is the perfect time to visit. With nonstop service available from TPA to Portland beginning May 17 on Breeze Airways, it's never been easier to explore the Pine Tree State. We've compiled a few can't-miss stops to help plan your visit.
1) Lighthouses galore: The Portland Head Light is the perfect place to kick off your trip to Maine. Located just a few minutes from Portland International Jetport (PWM), this iconic lighthouse is a dream for historians and photographers alike. This lighthouse, Maine’s oldest, was completed in the 1700s. Admission costs $2 for adults and $1 for children.
2) A district with charm: If you're looking for a good strolling spot to shop, dine and hunt for souvenirs, look no further than Old Port! This charming section of town is the perfect place to get acquainted with Portland. Watch the boats leave for the day from the harbor nearby or catch a live performance by a local musician.
3) Views upon views: Pack up a picnic and drink in Portland's stunning landscape at the Eastern Promenade, the perfect place to relax along your travels. A short walk from Old Port, the Eastern Promenade has a great beach, a trail to catch some fresh air and a beautiful community garden. This two-mile stretch is a favorite among visitors wanting to soak in the scenery and take some selfies.
4) Wander around: Nestled in the Arts District of Portland, the Museum of Art has stood the test of time. Since its founding in 1882, it has grown into a beloved attraction that brings in more than 150,000 visitors each year. From kids and family programs to numerous exhibitions, this stunning museum is not to be missed.
5) A short drive: If a quiet escape is more your speed, don’t miss out on the amazing Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, just outside of Portland. This attraction is about an hour’s drive from the city center and spans approximately 323 acres. For nature lovers and city folks alike, these gardens provide a respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life.