Planning a fall getaway? Here are five places to see the leaves change
As the summer heat shows no signs of letting up, it’s not too early to start dreaming about a fall escape to somewhere – anywhere – north of the Sunshine State. Cool weather, comfy sweatshirts and cozy cups of coffee? Sign us up. We’ve put together five amazing destinations for a nonstop getaway to watch the leaves change for that proper autumn feeling.
1. New York's capital city: When people think of the perfect place to watch the leaves change, they often first think of New York – and for good reason! One of the best places to watch fall make its entrance is the Catskills in southeastern New York. This mountain range has been a favorite of travelers who love to explore outdoors. With nonstop flights from TPA to nearby Albany on Southwest, you’ll be feeling a cool breeze in no time.
2. Some Midwest charm: If a growing metropolis with down-to-earth hospitality is more your speed, give Kansas City a try! While many don’t often think of this Midwestern town as a place to watch the leaves change, the large maple and cottonwood trees in the area are sure to delight. Take a stroll downtown, visit the World War I museum, grab food at Union Station, or visit a pumpkin patch nearby. If you’re looking for a short drive, don’t miss a day trip to the rolling Flint Hills. Southwest Airlines offers nonstop service from TPA to MCI.
3. Breathtaking 360-degree views: To the West we go! If a rugged adventure or a mountain town getaway is what you're looking for, Salt Lake City is a standout option. With nonstop service aboard Delta Air Lines, you’ll be soaking up the views of the colorful leaves in neighboring Park City or wandering through the forests of Millcreek Canyon before you know it. Visit one of the many rooftop bars for stunning views of the changing scenery.
4. Some country twang: We can hear the guitars from here! Nashville is a fan favorite and autumn is a perfect time to visit. Don’t miss a stroll around Radnor Lake or an afternoon walk through downtown Franklin. You’ll be surrounded by bright fall colors as you adventure outdoors and meander through small towns in the greater Nashville area. With nonstop flights available on American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, it’s never been easier to access a Tennessee fall.
5. One of the nation's oldest cities: If you’re dreaming of a coastal escape with old-world charm, autumn’s embrace of Rhode Island is not to be missed. Although the state is the smallest one in the US, it packs a large amount of fall festivities and scenery. Bowen’s Wharf and Eisenhower Park in Newport are sure to charm the leaf-looker while Prospect Park in Providence offers incredible views surrounded by colorful trees. Catch a nonstop flight to the Ocean State aboard JetBlue, Southwest or Spirit and you’ll be on your way in no time!