Tampa Airport Offers Holiday Travel Tips
November 21, 2011
TAMPA – Tampa International Airport is buzzing with holiday travelers. Here are some tips to ease your travel experience:
- Plan ahead. Families with young children and infrequent travelers are advised to review the current guidelines posted on the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website for the latest information on prohibited items and screening procedures. Guidelines for passenger baggage allowances and possible fees vary by airline. Travelers should visit the airline website for information related to your reservation and travel plans.
- Arrive early. Although wait times at Tampa International Airport are typically minimal and rarely exceed 15-20 minutes, the holidays can produce longer wait times during the peak hours. Reduce the stress by allowing enough time for unexpected delays and arrive 60 to 90 minutes prior to departure.
- Remember: Liquids, aerosols and gels apply to everything in carry-on luggage. Thinking of picking up a bottle of perfume as a last-minute gift? Bringing a gift basket with jams, jellies, dips or a bottle of wine? That counts as a liquid, even if it’s in an unopened package. Visit TSA.gov for the latest information on the policy.
- Leave gifts unwrapped. Whether you pack gifts in your carry-on luggage or pack them in checked baggage, items that cannot be identified in the screening process may have to be unwrapped, causing delays. Avoid the hassle and “wrap on arrival” or send gifts in advance.
- Choose your best parking option. Going to be gone for a while? Economy parking may be a good choice for you at only $9 per day. Would you like to have your car washed and waxed while you’re gone? Think Valet Parking and schedule auto detailing while you travel. There are plenty of covered garage spaces in all four airport parking locations, and reservations are never required.
- Look before you leave. Check with the airline or the airport website at TampaAirport.com before you leave for the airport to verify flight status. If you are meeting an arriving flight, avoid congestion at the curbside pickup areas by using the Cell Phone Waiting Lot. The lot offers free Wi-Fi, electric vehicle charging stations, and updated flight information so you can arrive at the terminal when passengers are ready for pickup. Want to meet them inside the terminal? Parking is free for visits under one hour.
- Would you like to see a hockey game for free when you return? Choose the convenience of airport parking and have an opportunity to win free tickets to a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game. The airport is giving away four tickets every day throughout the season.
We appreciate your business! Thank you and Happy Holidays from Tampa International Airport.