Ten trips from TPA: A wanderlusters where-to vacation guide
Yearning for a vacation, but not sure where to go? With 11 airlines flying nonstop to more than 70 destinations, Tampa International Airport makes for the perfect place to start and/or end your journey. We've compiled a list of 10 of our favorite trips to take from TPA, including:
2. Charleston, SC – Voted the Best City in the U.S. by Travel + Leisure for the last 8 years and most recently the Best City in the World, Charleston, South Carolina is beauty, grace and lots of southern charm. This city offers an eclectic mix of things to do from sightseeing, beach-going, fine dining and even simply strolling along cobblestone walkways.
Get there nonstop on Silver Airways.
3. Nashville, TN – Good whiskey, country music and southern eats are abundant in Tennessee’s capitol city. Nashville is also full of history and hikes, so you won’t run out of things to do on your trip.
4. New Orleans, LA – The Birthplace of Jazz offers more than just Mardi Gras. With beautiful historic architecture and hot spots to visit (like Bourbon Street or the French Quarter) this city is known to keep you occupied whether you take a weekend trip or stay all week. Not to mention, the food is just as seasoned as its most famous musicians.
5. San Juan, PR – With more than 270 miles of beautiful sandy beaches, San Juan, Puerto Rico makes for the perfect vacation destination for those looking to relax and renew. History buff in the family? Visit some of the oldest forts in the Eastern Hemisphere or take a tour around Old San Juan.
6. Chicago, IL – Deep dish pizza, age-old architecture and, yes, go ahead and take a mirror pic at the Bean. The city is known for its tall buildings and big city and, through the years, has become a hot spot for foodies. Take an Architecture River Tour along the Chicago River or check out Navy Pier during the spring and summer months.
7. Denver, CO – Bring your hiking boots and backpack, ‘cause this mile-high metro is surrounded by mountains – both snow-capped and rocky – that will make for memorable adventures. There’s plenty to do in Denver, but once you’re done exploring the city, head out to the Rockies for a hike and some spectacular sightseeing.
8. Seattle, WA – Seattle is known for its Space Needle, Great Wheel and Pike Place Market, but this Northwest staple offers more than just its well-known attractions. Seattle is wedged between the Puget Sound and Lake Washington, giving visitors direct access to whale watching, boat tours and beautiful views.
9. San Diego, CA – Miles and miles and miles of beautiful beaches line the west coast of this SoCal city. While inland, you’ll find popular attractions like The San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld San Diego and LEGOLAND. The weather in San Diego hovers over a cool high 60’s, low 70’s year-round, so bring your shades and flip-flops and enjoy your vacation.
Get to San Diego nonstop on Southwest Airlines.
10. Phoenix, AZ – Hiking in the desert? Authentic Mexican cuisine? Spas and resorts everywhere you look? Phoenix, Arizona is the place to be. This city, dubbed the Valley of the Sun, is booming with culture and history, and is great for the outdoorsy tourist.